Sunday, April 5, 2009

Shed A Light On Love.



I saw Adventureland today and enjoyed it. It was predictable in the way that most films are, but it resurfaced my interest in Lou Reed and got my foot tappin' when Nick Lowe hit the speakers.

"Coney Island Baby" is a CD that I stumbled upon because it was  the only Lou Reed album that Best Buy carried, so naturally that was the only one I could steal that day. I love it, and a lot of the songs bring out an emotion of that time period for me. I just remember only hearing it either in the Best Buy Carfi speakers or in the vehicle driving with a baby seat in the back.

Lou Reed is the only musician that inspired me to make a cd for my brother. I hackily titled it "walk on the wild side" with a squiggly underline, and I'm pretty sure he never listened to it.

Lou Reed is a voice that rarely works live for me. He can sing it exactly as it is on the studio version (which he rarely does), yet looking at him perform the song makes the song seem more generic and a whole lot less creative. I dare you to find a good live version of any Velvet Underground song, besides this (embedding disabled by request, lame).

I guess there is something to be said for the production quality of his records, though really that's just a product of the time.

I'm extremely proud of this week's WHAR.



No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites