Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Old Grey Whistle Test.

I've decided to throw together an Old Grey Whistle Test medley for you wonderful human beings. Check out tomorrow's We Hit & Run, as well- it features a disgruntled Sid throwing down a microphone and walking out of the studio. An event that couldn't have been any less planned, and couldn't of made for better radio.

Oh, and subscribe on iTunes for more exclusive, free content.


Old Grey Whistle Test Videos!

David Bowie - Oh! You Pretty Things

This is an alternate take that never made the broadcast. I liked his vocal better on this edition. The song speaks for itself, my praise will only prove redundant after you watch the video.


Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Uncomplicated

I've been waiting for somebody to reupload this video for many months. I had a high quality version of this a few years ago, which mysteriously disappeared sometime around my move to Vegas. Uncomplicated is the opening track on Blood & Chocolate (his first 'last album with the Attractions'), one that has definitely grown on me over the years. This is around the time he wanted to kick the 'E.C.' gimmick- yet his glasses are bigger than ever.


John Lennon - Stand By Me

I'm shocked he isn't chewing gum during this performance.


The Specials - Stupid Marriage

The best Specials song? I love the harmonies, and especially the lyrics and beautiful song title. The album version is a lot better, and more theatrical- complete with a very ethnic judge. This video is really just a small clip of the ending. It begins and ends with Squeeze's organist- Jools with his odd, alien-like voice, t interviewing the Specials' lead singer.


Robert Wyatt - Shipbuilding

Written by Elvis Costello- a lot of people claim that Robert Wyatt's rendition of Shipbuilding blows the original out of the water. I strongly disagree, though I adore the frailty of his voice. I consider Robert Wyatt the opposite of Tom Waits- both on adjacent ends of the same depressed, romantic spectrum.


The Talking Heads - Psycho Killer

Any other Talking Heads song would not be in this blog entry. I got into this band during my last week living at Sara's- I took a particular liking to this one for many, obvious reasons.



http://kevinscampoli.info

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites